Aaaaaavocado - The silky, smooth fruit that stars in guacamole...
Surprisingly, you can also find it replacing butter in baked goods, topping off burgers & sandwiches, making smoothies silkier, and starring in many other Recipes!
Top 10 Reasons To Make Avocado Your Star
1. It's Packed With Nutrition
- Vitamins – E, B6, C, Thiamine, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate, Pantothenic Acid
- Minerals – Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Magnesium, Potassium
- Phytonutrients – Lutein & Zeaxanthin
- Healthy Fat – Monounsaturated & Polyunsaturated
- Fiber - Soluble & Insoluble
- Phytosterols – Plant sterols & Stanol Esters
2. It Makes You Feel Fuller Longer
- The increased healthy fat and fiber help you feel full and satisfied longer, which can reduce the desire to eat again shortly after a meal.
3. It Can Improve Your Cholesterol
- Phytosterols help lower cholesterol by using the same absorption sites as cholesterol during digestion, which causes less cholesterol to be absorbed.
- Small studies showed that a higher intake of avocado showed decreases in LDL cholesterol and triglycerides with an increase in heart protective HDL cholesterol.
4. It's Heart Friendly
- A study showed that when avocado was served with a lean beef burger, the production of interleukin-6, a heart disease related inflammatory marker, was blocked.
5. It’s Easy On The Eyes
- Phytonutrients, Lutein and zeaxanthin, are known to reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Both lutein and zeaxanthin are considered “essential” because the body cannot produce them, which means they must be eaten.
6. A Little Goes A Long Way
- 50 calories for one fifth of a medium avocado or one ounce, is a small price to pay for the creamy texture and bold flavor that is added to your meal or snack.
7. It's A Nutrition Assistant For Vitamins
- The healthy fat assists the body in absorbing or producing the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Avocado helps the body absorb beta-carotene, which is ultimately converted into Vitamin A.
- A study showed that carrots produced 12 times more Vitamin A and tomatoes produced 4 times more Vitamin A when eaten with avocado.
8. It's a Potassium Powerhouse
- Potassium one of the electrolytes that helps maintain normal water balance, cardiac. function, and energy storage (glycogen) in our muscles.
- DRI (dietary reference intake) for 14-70+ years is 4700-5100 mg (milligrams) daily depending on pregnancy or lactation.
- One-fifth of a medium avocado provides 150 mg of potassium.
9. It Provides Fabulous Folate
- Adequate intake before and during pregnancy is important for normal cell division.
- Studies show low folate intake by older adults may contribute to reduced cognition.
- DRI for 19–70+ years is 400–600 µg (micrograms) depending on pregnancy or lactation.
- One-fifth of a medium avocado provides 27 µg.